What Is Steel Fabrication Engineering?
For countless years, steel has been one of the most in-demand materials on the planet, used for various applications in countless industries. It is incredibly tough, but versatile enough to be manipulated into a selection of components that make our appliances, aid in transportation, and even hold up entire structures.
Steel fabrication engineering is the process of designing and constructing these many steel creations. It can actually involve using various metals, such as aluminium, stainless steel, and carbon steel. With these materials, fabrication engineers often work alongside architects and other engineers to create plans for everything from machine parts to buildings and bridges.
In this article, the KNS Metals team explore steel fabrication engineering in more detail, including the different methods and applications.
Steel Fabrication Engineering Methods
The most common steps involved within steel fabrication services are melting the raw materials, mixing these to create steel, and then using these materials to create whatever shape or component is needed. This includes bar joists, beams, platforms, columns, grating, and miscellaneous industrial equipment.
The complex will always have its own nuances and techniques that the operator must perform to create the desired parts. In doing so, they will introduce various techniques and methods, such as:
There are two main methods of cutting steel: thermal cutting and mechanical cutting. Thermal cutting involves using heat to melt or burn through the steel, while mechanical cutting uses abrasive or shearing forces to cut through the steel.
Thermal cutting is generally faster and more precise than mechanical cutting, but it can be more expensive and cause metal distortion. Mechanical cutting is less precise than thermal cutting but less expensive and causes less distortion.
These methods can take various forms, such as shearing with a die cutter to separate the material into several smaller pieces, band sawing to cut larger steel parts, water jet cutting for precision cuts on most materials, and cutter torches that utilise extreme temperatures to cut through larger, cross-sectional steel pieces.
Bending steel is the process of manipulating a steel piece’s shape through the application of force, done with either press machines or manually with hammering works. To gain the desired steel angle, press brakes and tube benders will be applied, with the operator carefully controlling the amount of stress to avoid deformation.
Welding is a process of joining two pieces of steel by melting them and then fusing them together. There are several different welding processes, including arc welding, oxy-fuel welding, and plasma cutting. Each process has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is essential to select the method that best suits the project at hand.
The finer treatment and usage of steel pieces are known as machining, especially in shaving away excess metal parts to create the desired shape, typically with the help of lathes, mills, drills and other tools.
What are the Different Applications for Steel Fabrication Services?
There are a variety of different applications for steel fabrication services, such as:
- Construction: As mentioned above, steel is strong, durable and versatile, which is why it is one of the most used metals for buildings and to reinforce concrete structures. Steel fabrication services can provide steel beams, columns, trusses, and other elements needed in construction.
- Manufacturing: Steel is also widely used in manufacturing, often to create machinery and equipment. Steel fabricators create a variety of parts and components for machines, including everything from small parts like gears and bearings to more significant structural elements, such as frames and housings.
- Transportation: The automotive industry relies heavily on steel fabrication. Car bodies and chassis are typically made from steel, like many car parts, such as engine blocks and suspension components.
- Energy: Steel is also used in a variety of energy applications. It is often used to create pipelines, wind turbines, and other energy infrastructure. Steel fabrication services can provide the raw materials and components used in energy applications.
- Other: There are a variety of other uses for steel fabrication services. Steel can be used to create sculptures, art pieces, kitchen appliances, in the food and beverage industry, medical equipment, and with many other sectors.
Take Advantage of Professional Steel Fabrication Services with KNS Metals
If you are interested in learning more about the applications of steel fabrication engineering, contact us at KNS Metals today to get started with our range of services.